Joined: 13 Dec 2016
|Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:01 pm Post subject: Mar & Haddo Lodges of The Loyal Order of Ancient Shepher
|The Aberdeen Press and Journal of 8 August 1921 reports the unveiling of these two memorials at Charlotte Street United Free Church.
"The memorial of the Mar Lodge is a large picture oils with the names of the fallen printed in gold letters on a dark background. The whole is surmounted by the emblem of the Order, while each side is draped with the flags of the Allies. On the right side at the picture is the figure of War with a shield, on which is inscribed 1914. On the left slde is the figure of Peace with a shield, bearing the date 1919. At the bottom corner there is a picture of the tanks in action, and at the opposite corner a picture seaplane attack in the North Sea."
"The roll of honour of the Haddo Lodge is also a picture, but of smaller dimensions. It is a tablet, done in water-colours. Resting the top of the tablet is the emblem of the Order, with two figures holding a drooping Union Jack. On the right side of the picture stands a sailor and opposite a soldier, facing each other with arms reversed. Beiow the names of the fallen is the inscription - 'They, in the hour of need and trial, nobly responded to the nation's call for her sons to serve their King and country.' "
After 1929 Charlotte Street Church became Blackfriars Church.
When that was dissolved in 1937 the P & J of 19 Apr 1937 reports that:
MEMORIAL REMOVED FROM CHURCH GIFTED TO ANOTHER CONGREGATION The problem of disposing of the War Memorial Tablets belonging to Blackfriars Church, which has been by the Aberdeen Town Council solved by the proposal that they should be placed in St George's-in-the-West Church. This was decided in view of the close relationship between the two churches, and at yesterday's morning service in St George's-in-the-West they were formally handed over by Mr George Low, session clerk of Blackfriars Church, and accepted by Mr John Strachan, session clerk of St George's-in-the-West. The service was conducted by the Rev. Dr Neil Meldrum, minister of the St George's-in-the-West Church, who preached on the subject of memorials "These memorials warn us of what war is and what it will do," he said, "but the world goes by and fingers and does not care. If the nation wants to play with a toy called war they have to pay an awful price for it. These memorials are significant in three ways. They are a clear and distinct proof of the great thing God has done for this country, they are one of the pathetic but glorious facts of human history, and they are finally conclusive proof that war is wrong." . The tablets now bear the added inscription :— "On the dissolution of Charlotte Street (Blackfriars) Church this memorial was willingly proffered to and reverently accepted by this congregation."
While the article refers to the Parish Memorial it would be a reasonable hope that the handover was of all memorials in the Church.
When St George's closed in June 1969 the congregation united with that of Tillydrone and moved to a new Tillydrone Church in 1971.
Does anyone know, please, if these two memorials are in Tillydrone Church (reportedly Scotland's first triangular Church), the Credo Centre (the former St George's Church), or indeed anywhere else?